July & August Beauty Favourites!

I never ended up posting a July Favourites, even though there were some standout products in that month. I figured I'd just combine the two months of July and August into a Summer Favourites type of post!

We're going to start off with eyeshadow palettes. I've got one for each month!



July's standout palette was the e.l.f. 'mad for matte' palette, and August's was easily the Anastasia Modern Renaissance palette.



The Modern Renaissance palette was one I wanted from the moment I saw it. It's got a ton of unique shades that are still very wearable. The pigmentation of these shadows is insane- I actually tend to spend a lot of time building my crease up because I prefer to use a lighter hand with pigmented shadows. They have a lot of kickup, very similar to the LORAC formula, but that's something I don't mind at all. All of the shadows work very well with one another, and I love that the mattes are all pigmented and soft enough to be used as a true lid colour. What really sells me on this palette, though- it matches both of my work uniforms in a way I thought nothing ever would. I have a muted magenta scrub shirt at the moment, and come fall we'll switch to a burgundy and black uniform top. This palette is amazing for being able to wear colour in my workplace without clashing with my uniforms (let's be real, so many colours clash with pink!)

My only gripe with the palette is that I wish it had two more shades- a more midtoned warm brown, because I find the jump from Raw Sienna (bottom left) to Cyprus Umber (top right) to be a little too dramatic. I also wish there were a shimmery copper shade, something like MAC Amber Lights or MUG Untamed.

The e.l.f. 'mad for matte' palette is a standout for anyone who needs a staple neutral matte palette to flesh out their collection but doesn't want to break the bank. I find these shadows to be on par with the quality of my Stila ones. This palette has two browbone higlights, two gorgeous transition shades, a warm brown crease shade, some deepening shades and a matte grey and black. The pan sizes are generous, the palette is slim as can be and only ten dollars. You simply can't go wrong with this one. I picked mine up at the Real Canadian Superstore but I've also seen it in the new e.l.f. display at my local Wal-Mart.



Keeping on the theme of eyes, I've got a single shadow and a liner to talk about.

MAC Saddle eyeshadow- where have you been all my life? I'm laughing because this thing is probably just as old as I am yet it still works great. My mom passed this to me, and I actually find myself lacking a midtone brown in a lot of situations. This shadow is creamy, pigmented, and a gorgeous chocolate colour. I'm relucatant to depot it because it's so convenient to pull out when I just need a midtone brown, but the packaging is actually starting to fall apart.

I picked up an 100 point perk size of the Kat Von D Tattoo liner in Trooper very reluctantly, on the recommendation of pretty much everyone in the CBB. I was completely and utterly devoted to my Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner, but I actually haven't touched it since this came in the mail. It dries. So. Quickly. The only things I ask for in a black liner are that it is easy to apply and dries quickly, because I have hooded eyes and suck royally at eyeliner. This dries on my eye almost instantaneously, doesn't get clogged with shadow, and is practically bulletproof. It's often the last part of my makeup to disintegrate after a sweaty 8-hour shift. I've worn this sucker for 15 hours- walking to work in 30 degree heat, cleaning toilets, changing beds- it didn't even budge in the slightest. Colour me damn impressed.



Two face favourites I had were the MAC blush (?) in... Golden Kitty Primpin'? This had to be part of some limited release eons ago, and my aunt who used to work for MAC generously gifted it to me when we saw each other at a wedding this summer. Though it's a duo product, I've been swirling my brush in both sides to get the most gorgeous, dramatic, fall-appropriate flush of colour and sheen.

The e.l.f. Perfect Finish HD Powder is a really, really good setting powder. I've been trying new ones as I find that I go through my Joe Fresh translucent powder too quickly, and I picked this up when I saw it in the new display at Wal-Mart. It's a translucent powder that mattifies and sets my face without drying out the look of my foundation, especially around my undereyes. I expect to use this up!



Here's a picture of me wearing the Anastasia Modern Renaissance palette (with the help of Untamed Foiled Shadow by Makeup Geek on the lid) and Golden Kitty Primpin' by MAC.



I also have a brush favourite- this e.l.f. (I'm sorry, I just really loved e.l.f. this summer) Flawless Face brush (I think that's what it's called) is perfect for really getting my face powder to set my foundation, or to just apply a layer of powder foundation! I haven't yet used it for liquid foundation but I might soon.

The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Cream is a product I've had for, well, a while. I always thought it was too thick for me but it turns out I was just using way too much! When I just use a dab of this, it's perfect and leaves my skin feeling supple. I've officially welcomed it back to my skincare routine.


What was a brand that wowed you more than once this summer?


Comments

  1. Nice picks! I'm always tempted by MAC Saddle and I'm still tempted by that Anastasia Modern Renaissance palette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own saddle and I think I need to! I also think I need to make an order on the Elf website haha.

    www.thinkingofmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Maybelline Brow Drama Pomade Crayon

May Favourites 2016!

Products I've Hit Pan On!